Monday, November 13, 2006

This wouldn't fit on a drive-thru menu

I love reading the blog of Tom Colicchio, the sexy Top Chef judge who just opened 'WichCraft near the new Bloomies. Here he perfectly sums up why I have absolutely no interest in writing restaurant menus...

"The other night I ate a great dish: Napoleon of Sourdough Brioche, Artisan Cheddar and minced, aged Hereford, garnished with a Preserve of Cucumber and Dill, and finished with Heirloom Tomato Coulis.

A.k.a.: A Cheeseburger.

I don’t have patience for over-the-top food descriptions, mostly because they seem to say, “look at how fancy this dish is!” and I’m not a big fan of fancy food. I’m OK with food that requires a high level of skill to prepare. And I don’t have a problem with fine dining -- provided I’m in the mood for it. But the word “fancy” speaks to me of pretension, embellishment, the need to impress. About presentation over substance."

No comments:

Post a Comment