Wednesday, May 30, 2007
The Joy of Lex
A show about words and the people who use them.
Billions of people use words, and so do some apes. (Alexandra's note - huh?) Each and every word has its own story, about how it was created, shaped and changed by the generations who've used it. Every word has a secret life of its own; words are constantly in flux, being lost, found, picked apart, abused, overused, relished and relinquished. The Joy of Lex will explore the surprising stories, passions, obsessions, misunderstandings, humor and sometimes shocking characters associated with words. This two-hour special will focus on the two greatest movements in the world of word "ebb" and "flow." (Why doesn't it focus on the two greatest naming firms, Eat My Words and Igor?) As with all of our TV appearances, I'll let you know when the show airs.
- Simplicity - it's a short, easy to spell word with layers of meaning
- Unexpectedness - a fun, original name for a stuffy industry
- Concreteness - it's easy to remember because we've heard it before
- Credibility - the official company name is Cake Financial, which gives it credibility
- Emotional - the name Cake is connected to birthdays, weddings, and parties - everyone loves Cake
- Stories - there's story behind the name (and it's not the last name of the owner of the company)